Saturday, January 17, 2015

"Bienvenido a Colombia"

I've been living in Colombia for seven days now. Although we're still in Zipaquirá, at the training site, I've really enjoyed it so far. I think moving here for six months and immersing myself in this brand new culture has possibly been the best thing I've ever decided to do. I'm so thrilled at the idea of meeting all the students and people of Girardot and doing something I've always loved - teaching. All the trainings have been....well let's just say it's a review for everything I've already learned at Manhattanville College through the Education program. I wish I could be doing something more useful like learning Spanish but there's really no choice in this. It IS helpful but it definitely just drags at points. ESPECIALLY since it begins so early. When we go to our schools, there's a possibility of having to be AT the school by 7am so this is probably nothing. I should really invest in an extremely loud alarm clock, lol.

Anywho, there are about 120 people here with Heart for Change. From ALL OVER THE WORLD. They said there are 49 different countries here. That's so crazy! I LOVE IT! Everywhere you look, there are different colors, sizes, voices, accents, personalities. We are honestly so minuscule in this world when you look at the grand scheme of things. I've met some really amazing people from all over - people I'd love to keep in touch with once we part, and hopefully even visit (in Colombia and out) :) We shall see!